A Collection of Thoughts on God, Prophetic Art, the Prophetic Painter's Process, and the Meditative Reflections that Lead to Sanctified Art.

Notes From The Fortress of Solitude



============================================================================

Notes From The Fortress of Solitude

In the world of comic books, Superman had his place to retreat, the Fortress of Solitude. It was located near the North Pole, far away from the world's distraction and hectic pace. It was his secret place. I also have a secret, retreat place. It's a place to meet with a real-life hero, Jesus of Nazareth.

I used to call it "my cave", but it's not a place to escape from life, nor is it a hole in the ground. I don't run to it only when things go bad, or when I get wounded. When I'm there, I'm not in the dark. You see, it's a place filled with light. When I go there the atmosphere of Heaven surrounds me. It's where I find strength, strategies, and revelation. It's my high tower. It's my personal Fortress of Solitude.



============================================================================


Deep Unto Deep Video Mix

Music Comes To The Fortress Of Solitude
That's right, Deep Unto Deep now has sound. Whenever you open this site, you'll hear this music. Feel free to turn it off or lower the volume (or keep it cranked, if you like). You can add your own YouTube favorites by clicking the + sign to the right of each selection in the list, and following the prompts. If you press the video button, you can view the video that accompanies the sound.
While in video mode, you can find more info about each selection, by clicking the You Tube icon in the screen area. If you have any thoughts about the MixPod player or my selections (perhaps a suggestion for appropriate music), please leave a comment at the blog comment section below. Enjoy.
=================================================================================
MusicPlaylistView Profile Create a playlist at MixPod.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Cannon In God's Canon

Here is a poem that I was moved to write about my friend, Canon Andrew White after a brief exchange, a few hours ago on Facebook:


I have this friend, a fearless friend
In many ways a real God-send
He has this subtlety to bring an influence,
Encouraging many towards God pursuance.


He's like the bridge over troubled waters
Heaven smiles with many applauders.
Been used by God in many scrambles,
Bringing a sense of peace to a world in shambles.


He knows the way of Godly crushing
that leads to flushing, blushing, and gushing
while shoulders are breezed in Holy Spirit brushing.


As is in sync with God's reborn,
Knows the value of his thorn.
Just like Jacob right after his bout
All night wrestling, I'm talking about.


An outright skirmish
(not for the squeamish).
Left with reminder in a hip that's torn.
to hobble with cane - well, that's his thorn.


A mystery thorn was given to Paul,
Pride's deterrent for a higher call.
A lesson from this we all can glean.
Stay low, close to God, in order to stay clean.


A simple prayer for brother Andrew
More of God to see him through.
Oh, dear Lord, won't you shower your essence?
Your kindly fix for the bodily dents.


Protect our friend, whose friends, (just for starters,)
Have gone on as precious saints and martyrs
Let him fill that dream You have
To heal world wounds with a holy, blood salve.


- Tony Mujica ©2011


I had the pleasure of meeting Canon Andrew White when he ministered at a HUB conference (HUB stands for His United Body, a local Chicago group, led by Nancy Magiera, that often hosts prophetic people from all over the globe) that I also ministered at as a prophetic artist back in 2006. I was working on a painting depicting John on the isle of Patmos, just as the door opened in Revelation chapter four. I continue working on it throughout the conference.


I noticed that whenever I looked behind me, this one man was always gazing at my canvas. His eyes seemed to be fixed my way. He would be at stage right. Then later  I would see him at another vantage point to the left. I soon found out, when he took the platform as conference speaker, that this was Canon Andrew White.


There were many supernatural things that happened concerning that event. For example, my wife and I lived north of Chicago in Evanston, Illinois. On the opening day of this conference, we had to bring our dogs to my mother's house, just west of downtown Chicago, while we would spend the weekend at the conference.


We left early before noon, to give ourselves time to get there. It was a Friday, which in Chicago means severe traffic backups. Our route wasn't an easy one since there's really no quick way to get from Evanston to North Riverside and then to Naperville.


I noticed traffic everywhere. Every shortcut that I knew (from my 17 year career as a Limousine driver) failed. Amy and I decided to worship, as we stood in traffic. No sense fretting over something beyond our control.


We arrived at my mother's house, quickly bringing dogs and accessories in. We stayed for a very short visit and returned to our car. Time continued on in it's rude, persistent manner with no concern for our appointment. These events require lots of equipment - easel, painting stuff, drop cloths, laptop, etc. that had to be set up in advance, so as not to disturb the gathering's worship.


We found ourselves in the last tollway before our destination. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper and moving, but moving ever so slowly. I saw a sign, the kind that is synced with overhead GPS monitoring (these are very accurate, I've learned to trust and used them daily in my job environment). I did quick calculations and realized we were not going to make it on time. That sign posted twenty minutes to get to Naperville. That would have made us ten minutes late at minimum and would present a big worship distraction.


We continued to worship, even kicking it up a notch because of the situation. I called the hotel and they sent people with carts to meet us when I arrived.


As I drove, I can't say that the sea parted for us, but what should have taken twenty minutes only took four minutes! There is no explanation for this, those four minutes actually seemed like twenty. The awaiting crew had me on stage and ready to paint just before the worship downbeat.


...And now, back to Canon Andrew White.


Canon started his teaching. At some point he referenced the painting. He shared how he couldn't help but stare at it, from the moment I started it onward. He told the conference that it ushered in the atmosphere of heaven, that the glory of God filled the hall. This was a word from God that I needed to hear at that hour.


You see, I had been talking to Amy about retiring my brush. I sang the sad song, you probably know the lyrics, "Nobody really wants to see your work. It really stinks. If you stop nobody will even notice."


God has a way of using people to bring an encouragement to us. God used Andrew White.




Ecce Homo



This painting is another version of "Ecce Homo" that I started at a different conference (Karitos 2009). It stands just over 4' tall.

I also painted another piece during this meeting. An interpretation of a classic biblical theme that many of history's painter have tackled, "Ecce Homo" which means 'behold the man'. It depicts Jesus after flogging before Pilate. He stands as the humble king broken before Pilate, whipped and beaten, with crown of thorns,  draped in crimson, majestic robe stained with the blood essence of His suffering and filled with traces of Bethany Mary's poured out perfume from just days before (This sweet perfume serves as a soft reminder of His future bride to be, us. Every time the cat-o-nine tailed whip removed flesh from His back, He probably thought, "Oh yes my lovely bride." I think this is why He said she would be eternally remembered.) He holds a branch given by mockers as a scepter. He is about to talk to Pontius about truth. He stands as a direct contrast to the second coming Victory King, the Bozrah man of Isaiah 59:16-19 and Isaiah 63, who comes to wipe out His enemies.


At some point, Andrew was ministering up front. I was a tired, weeping puddle on the floor. The Lord gently whispered to me while I was in prostrate brokenness.


He said, "Get up and paint another."


Although I was tired (having stood the bulk of the conference to paint), I got up, in obedient response, and painted faster than I'd ever painted. My hand moved lightning fast, occasionally dipping to the palette to recharge brush. I knew that Holy Spirit was guiding me. All I could see was a big blur as I watched the painting fall into place. Since then, I've experienced this type of Holy Ghost intervention, usually when I'm depleted or feeling broken. It's the moment He waits for, when you have exhausted your ability's reserve. Then He moves, as if to show you the way it should always be done. I completed that painting within an hour's passing.


I was asked to briefly talk about the painting on the final day of that gathering. I especially remember saying the following:


"This painting is not only about John the beloved on Patmos, it's also about you, Canon. This painting shows John sitting on a rock in Patmos. I see him as you. Canon Andrew White sitting, before God, on a rock in Iraq."


Andrew White bought both paintings from that weekend. He was responsible for preventing this artist from throwing in the towel.


Below is a small drawing from one of my sketchbooks. It is a variation of the Patmos theme that Andrew purchased. I'll show in a separate post, a recent poem ("Rev Four, Foot To Floor") that goes with the sketch.




This drawing is very small - about 6 inches or so in height.









No comments:

Post a Comment

While You're Here You Might As Well Feed The Fish
(Bring your cursor into the tank. Double click to release the bait)