A Collection of Thoughts on God, Prophetic Art, the Prophetic Painter's Process, and the Meditative Reflections that Lead to Sanctified Art.

Notes From The Fortress of Solitude



============================================================================

Notes From The Fortress of Solitude

In the world of comic books, Superman had his place to retreat, the Fortress of Solitude. It was located near the North Pole, far away from the world's distraction and hectic pace. It was his secret place. I also have a secret, retreat place. It's a place to meet with a real-life hero, Jesus of Nazareth.

I used to call it "my cave", but it's not a place to escape from life, nor is it a hole in the ground. I don't run to it only when things go bad, or when I get wounded. When I'm there, I'm not in the dark. You see, it's a place filled with light. When I go there the atmosphere of Heaven surrounds me. It's where I find strength, strategies, and revelation. It's my high tower. It's my personal Fortress of Solitude.



============================================================================


Deep Unto Deep Video Mix

Music Comes To The Fortress Of Solitude
That's right, Deep Unto Deep now has sound. Whenever you open this site, you'll hear this music. Feel free to turn it off or lower the volume (or keep it cranked, if you like). You can add your own YouTube favorites by clicking the + sign to the right of each selection in the list, and following the prompts. If you press the video button, you can view the video that accompanies the sound.
While in video mode, you can find more info about each selection, by clicking the You Tube icon in the screen area. If you have any thoughts about the MixPod player or my selections (perhaps a suggestion for appropriate music), please leave a comment at the blog comment section below. Enjoy.
=================================================================================
MusicPlaylistView Profile Create a playlist at MixPod.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A "MUNDANE" ROUTINE THAT LEADS TO CREATIVITY



I am writing this as a result of a Facebook conversation about creativity. It started as a post by FBer Paulette Insall, referring to an internet article, "How Mundane Routines Produce Creative Magic". 

My approach is the antithesis of routine, and not mundane by any means. Please share in my comments section after this post, about your daily routines. I value your opinion and would appreciate your input.  


1) Do you have a daily routine that helps you create?

I concentrate on staying in constant communion with God. Very simple.

  
Hard to maintain at times, but I am growing in staying in this constant flow. I diligently work at cutting out distractions of any sort. When I first consciously explored this approach, I spent several days, even weeks, in my room alone with God. I did not plan on fasting but the Lord pulled me into it. No food or drink for days and not even missing it! I would get lost in His presence. I have found that it's easy to enter the disciplines when God woos you into them. They become effortless. If you want to change the way you think or behave, to come more in line with God - stand in His presence. It's hard to stay there and not get some of Him rubbing off on you.

I had my phone and sketchbook with me in my room, which enabled me to write/sketch out revelations from the Lord.

Many years ago, I attempted to maintain marathons in His presence like this, but I would inevitably be the one leaving, never God. He would say, "Don't go." I would later realize that in my hurry to run off to do errands, I didn't hear the rest of what he was telling me, "Don't go, take me with you." Those last four words have turned my lifewalk upside down.

I noticed that when I first started applying those four words, I had extreme difficulty. It's easy to be isolated, but very hard to reintegrate into a world that marches to the beat of a different drummer. I would leave my room on the second floor. By the time I reached the last step into the first floor, I had left my flow, and fizzled into an old man mindset, as if I had never had any exchange with the Lord. But God as Jealous Lover of my soul, patiently brought this to my attention. I retreated to my room as a saline puddle on the floor, crying out for a solution to this problem. I say this because all of this is His doing. It takes God to know God. I can only know Him by His revelatory permission, only entering in by His grace. There is nothing in me that enables me to access Him, other than the blood-stained garment of Christ (Hebrews 10:19-22).

This approach keeps me in constant flow. It may be quite different than other means. I run away from seeking my own expression. Part of being a minstrel (visual minstrel) is dedicating and surrendering my expression in favor of seeking out God's expression.There's power in the unaltered song of the Lord (music), or vision of the Lord (visual arts). Like King David, prophetic worshipers must be priests after God's own heart, a kingdom of priests. I never lose my identity in this. My expression always comes through in the process. God loves the soulic part of my being (when it is lined up with Him). HE SAVORS OUR FLAVOR. That's why I can say I'm His favorite and His flavorite.

One of the benefits, of using this "routine"(anything but mundane routine - a thrill for every second):
The creative element flows into everything you do. One can become a musician orchestrated into the symphony of life (even if you have a tin ear and don't know how to play). In other words, it provides the means to practice the presence of God, thereby enabling one to "walk in the Spirit". This is just the beginning. This is NORMAL CHRISTIANITY, the way God intends everybody to walk (that's a direct quote from the gospel according to TONY, he-he-he! Good thing there's no such book). Good thing, there's no such book!

Even when recent illness (Quad bypass heart surgery and resultant nerve damage) derailed my ability to paint or play trumpet, God so wanted me to worship Him without skipping a beat that He brought in another avenue for me to explore: writing and poetry. He gave me the ability to focus my thoughts in words. The day before, I could not write. I mean I knew how because of schooling, but couldn't put words together, couldn't rhyme. Often, in school I would be the last one turning in an exam. I would get frustrated at the blank sheet, whenever I attempted to journal. God so loves me that He provided a way for me to express my love to Him, when my other routes became too painful. Isn't that something how much He cares for every detail of our lives? I love Him so.

One of the most difficult things I find with this approach:
1) Time oriented things
Schedule is an area that I find most difficult. I am on God's schedule, not my own. When I spend long hours before God I find myself in the timeless place with the eternal God, the Ancient of Days. Because of that, He has stretched my understanding of schedule, of anything related to time. He has taught me to view things from eternal perspective. I now know the value of pulling back from viewing things from a human mindset. I don't always do it, because I am a work in process. But at least, I am aware that God's ways are high above man's ways of thinking.

During the long stretches with the Lord, He began showing me another discipline (like fasting, silence, or solitude). It is an outgrowth of the Watch of the Lord. I call it the discipline of the "Surrendered Schedule". It's not for everyone, most cannot grasp the importance of it or even the validity. But it is another form of voluntary weakness. It causes a wooing cry within your spirit. It is yet another avenue to walk while worshiping God. If you have time for it.

I used to work as a limousine chauffeur. I always had to be on time, in fact, early and well prepared for my client's needs. When my client arrived I was on their schedule. They paid by the hour and I did whatever they wanted (well almost whatever), drove wherever they wanted to go, even if it meant driving across multiple states. Whenever I went on these long excursions, It was so difficult to return to the usual everyday schedule of airport transit. So it is with serving God in this manner.

2) People think you're anti-social
While He is working this way of living into my life, it will seem that way. But I have noticed that He causes me to view people in a different way. It seems that everyone has become precious to me. When I am around people, I find it easier to give wholeheartedly into their lives. I can say this because I used to be a sourpuss. Even now, when I grow distant from God that's a sure way of knowing I'm off. I return to my curmudgeon dudgeon dungeon.

I see that He isn't going to let me stay a miserable shambles. I think it's because of those dangerous prayers. You know the ones, "God do whatever it takes to...", or we've all prayed, "make me just like Your Son". I think I winced immediately when those words rolled off my tongue. I think Misty Edwards knows exactly what I mean. Listen to her song ,"You Won't Relent (Until You Have It All) -Track 4 on my blog's Mix Pod above. My Heart is Yours, oh God, most worthy, most holy! You are my everything, my. . .

. . .Where am I? . . .What's my name? I just fell on the floor. Oh Yes, back to writing.

Is this isolated approach worth all it entails?

Even with the difficulties, it is absolutely worth everything. It is worth all the things I give up, the things I used to call "loss". Now I see them as gain. I am finding that God is helping me reintegrate back to a do-able schedule. What I gain is a slight shift in thinking that enables me to re-enter whenever I feel I am growing distant.

Walking this way is like learning a new embouchure (mouth formation) on the trumpet. At first it seems like it's not worth it, but after a while you gain confidence about why you made the change in the first place. Well worth all the changes and times when you thought you couldn't do it.


2) What are the most important triggers for your creative state of mind?

Only three:
Abba Father, Overseer
Jesus, Darling Son of God
Ruach, Spirit of the Most High God


3) What happens to your creativity if your routine is interrupted?

I fall out of sorts. It can lead to personal mayhem. It's both disastrous and painful to dull down once you become sensitized. It's like reintroducing poison into your body's system after you have worked hard to detox. The great thing is God wants me to succeed. So even when I fail, He brushes me off and helps me get back up. Yay God. None of this would be possible or even fathomable, if I were an atheist. But then again, God doesn't believe in Atheists. Yay God, again.

5 comments:

  1. Such a powerful word Tony! I think talking to you at Karitos and now finding you again on FB, has been a godsend! I am definitely shifted into a new level of intimacy with the Father and therefore it has shifted me prophetically in my art as well. It's hard to find the time to get to paint and spend well anytime alone with God, being the mother of 2 young children. But now, I am seeing that God wants to be apart of my day and everyday life with the kids. And that they need to learn how to be close to God and they will learn through my witness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'm glad your kids have you as their mother. His grace is upon you as you practice the presence of God.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful it is to live in the flow.... enjoyed reading this, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pattie. His heart is big enough for all!

      Delete
  3. Love your page came across it looking up the word Meta Taute gbu!

    ReplyDelete

While You're Here You Might As Well Feed The Fish
(Bring your cursor into the tank. Double click to release the bait)